Lauren Down | Monday 14 March, 2011 21:51
Recently opened by Samuel Levack and Jennifer Lewandowski, the French Riviera Gallery is intended to be an extension of the duo’s practice as artists. Having been interested in the idea of running a gallery for quite some time now, this venture is (according to the pair) about the act and aesthetics of collaboration. Born of a gradual progression from studio to shop to gallery and set to include a range of artists, Horizon Hypnotique grew from a testing ground for their friend‘s hypnotic dance film to a fully realised show.
Focusing thematically on escapism through dream and notions of imagination, this show will feature pieces from Kris Emmerson, Lucy Woodhouse and Beatriz Olabarrieta. Additional projects will include the solo performative artist Richard Parry and the fantastical cinematic productions of Tai Shani whilst the romanticism of Alex Ressel’s oeuvre completes the feeling of exhibition as art by tying in the romantic imagery conjured by the gallery’s very name. Until Mar 13. French Riviera, 309 Bethnal Green Road, BETHNAL GREEN, E2 6AH www.frenchriviera1988.com Open Friday – Sunday, 12 – 6pm 020 7729 8000
??Alex Ressel – Six Miles From Paternoster Square, 2010 © The artists, courtesy of French Riviera
Get the latest articles from Snipe by following on Twitter and Facebook
About this writer
Some popular articles from past years
- Hope and despair in Woolwich town centre
- Could red kites be London's next big nature success story?
- Peter Bayley has worked for 50 years as a cinema projectionist in East Finchley
- Margaret Thatcher statue rejected by public
- The five spookiest abandoned London hospitals
- Nice Interactive timeline lets you follow Londoners' historic fight against racism
- Number of people using Thames cable car plunges
- 9 poems about London: one for each of your moods
- Random Interview: Eileen Conn, co-ordinator of Peckham Vision
- The five best places in London to have an epiphany
© 2009-2019 Everywhen Ltd.