Adam Bienkov | Tuesday 8 March, 2011 14:57
A series of festivals and events funded by the Mayor are under threat of cancellation, The Scoop can reveal.
London Film Day launched last year by the mayor will now no longer be funded.
A spokesperson for the Mayor said that they had “no proposals” to fund Refugee Week this year but that this may change.
Most surprisingly of all the Mayor’s flagship Story of London Festival may not now go ahead.
A spokesperson said that details were still to be confirmed but that they were in talks with the Museum of London and the Southbank Centre to launch a new “Festival of Britain” instead.
The Story of London festival was a personal project of the Mayor but has received a mixed reception in the two years since it was launched, with most participants not even aware of his role in it.
A survey commissioned in 2009 found that 76% of those taking part in “Story of London” events did not know the Mayor had funded or promoted them and only 7% had seen one of his guides to the festival.
A spokesperson for the Mayor said that they would continue to review the range of events funded by City Hall.
Get the latest articles from Snipe by following on Twitter and Facebook
Some popular articles from past years
- A unique collection of photos of Edwardian Londoners
- Could red kites be London's next big nature success story?
- Silencing the Brick Lane curry touts could be fatal for the city's self-esteem
- Punk brewery just as sexist and homophobic as the industry they rail against
- Peter Bayley has worked for 50 years as a cinema projectionist in East Finchley
- An interview with Desiree Akhavan
- The five spookiest abandoned London hospitals
- Diary of the shy Londoner
- Only 16 commuters touch in to Emirates Air Line, figures reveal
- London has chosen its mayor, but why can’t it choose its own media?
© 2009-2018 Everywhen Ltd.