LONDON
Tuesday, 2 September 2014

     

Thames Cable Car delayed following crash fears

By Adam Bienkov
15 February 2011, 13:55

Link

Plans for a cable car across the Thames have been put on hold after campaigners pointed out that it would cross the “crash zone” around London City Airport

Neither Greenwich, Newham nor the Mayor of London had previously spotted the significance of the crash zone before recommending it for approval.

But in recent weeks campaigners have repeatedly highlighted the issue forcing the Mayor to today ask Newham and Greenwich to withdraw their application:

A spokesperson for Boris Johnson told The Scoop:

The Mayor has received letters suggesting that further safety analysis of the cable car application be carried out in relation to the expansion of City Airport. To be certain these concerns are addressed he has asked the boroughs to withdraw their referrals while TfL commission a national air traffic services safety assessment.

TfL expect the assessment to be completed and a decision taken by the beginning of March.

Poplar resident Alan Haughton who first pointed out the safety risk said that the whole scheme had descended into farce:

Boris Johnson’s desire to see a Cable Car across the Thames for 2012 is an Olympic sized mess. The planning application has ignored key safety guidelines and objections.

A spokesperson for Greenwich Council said the crash zone was a matter for Newham Council.

Adam Bienkov
Adam is a reporter for Politics.co.uk You can find links to his other work at AdamBienkov.com.

comments powered by Disqus
 

Tube Updates